Thursday, September 13, 2012

Shortcakes Diner - Review #6

Wow, I can't believe we have been writing this blog for 6 weeks already........time really does fly!  This week's review is coming a couple of days early because BJ is leaving for an 8 day vacation in Montana and Wyoming on Saturday morning (yes, I am very jealous!). So rather than drive a ways as we have been prone to the past few weeks we decided to try out one of Stillwater's local and long-lived haunts, Shortcakes Diner located on Main St.  To me Shortcakes represents the quintessential truck-stop diner, open 24-7 and serving quality greasy food.  I think the best comparision is probably to a an old Waffle House that I once went to in Auburn, Alabama.  To the local college students it is best thought of as the post-bar, drunkin', greasy spoon. In fact, the first time I went to shortcakes was about 2am one night with a couple of friends and one of the guys in the booth behind us was passed out and literally had to be carried out by his friends.  Definitely a classic Stillwater moment that I'll never forget!

As a slightly added plus, one of the waitresses from Mom's now works at Shortcakes.  According to her the rumor is that they are trying to get Mom's up and running!  Maybe I won't have to do a retrospective review after all, long live Mom's!


It definitely goes by the classic, don't judge a book by its cover scenario as the breakfast food at least is really quite good. For several weeks I had listened to BJ rave about their pancakes, and when we talk about his pancake ratings this is what all others were being compared too.  With that said it was a must have experience for our little blog. This morning we were lucky enough to have a special guest, our friend and my resident mate, Mee Ja.  She won't meet us for our 7am Saturday morning jaunts, but during the week its entirely doable.

Well on to the important part, the food!  As mentioned above, BJ loves the pancakes here so of course he got his usual pancakes and eggs.  And I think for the first time yet at least for an individual meal we have a rating of a 5 out of 5!

Now aren't those fluffy looking pancakes? Perfection!
On this morning, which I'm planning on making my one meal of the day, I had my usual hashbrowns and eggs overeasy, and for this special occasion I got the full country breakfast and got French Toast as well. Like BJ's pancakes the french toast was fantastic with plenty of butter and powdered sugar.  If I haven't said it before I'm not a user of syrup...........yes I know I'm weird.  The hashbrowns were really good and are always slightly amusing as they are cooked to a specific size within a metal ring that holds them all together.  The eggs were good, it really is tough to screw up eggs.  The only downfall was the sausage which was average, but nothing to right home about and lacking any real spice.


Mee-Ja got the same order as me, with whole wheat toast instead of French Toast, and gave her's a rating of 4 out of 5, which is pretty much inline with what I felt it was worth. To her the best part was the ambiance and good company (isn't that sweet of her!!).


And overall.......

Food: 4.5 of 5 pancakes
Cost: $$ (out of 5)
Overall: 4 of 5 cups of coffee

Overall I don't know if it quite matches the Morrison Cafe for me, but BJ's love of their pancakes definitely raises the food up a notch.  I definitely feel like the way to go at Shortcakes is with the carbs and getting the French Toast or pancakes.  The sausage and hasbrowns are a tad bit greasy, but that's not unexpected.

We may not be having a review next week as BJ is going to be out of town through the following Saturday, but we hope to have a big gathering the week after that to celebrate his retirement!  Until next time, keep on eating breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment